Chocolate Toxicity

Chocolate and Dogs Just Don’t Mix!

Our dogs love a tempting treat like chocolate not realising a chocolate treat could kill them!chocolate_toxicity_infograph

Chocolate contains a product called Theobromine which causes vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity and excitation, muscle tremors, seizures, cardiac (heart) abnormalities, and in severe cases death.

The level of Theobromine varies with the type of chocolate, there is more in baking chocolate and dark chocolate than there is in milk chocolates and white chocolates. Also small dogs will become ill with smaller amounts of chocolate As a guide a 5 kilogram dog could develop theobromine poisoning after eating just 80 grams of milk chocolate or 30 grams of dark chocolate or just 10 grams of baking chocolate.

No amount of chocolate is safe for your dog! Even the smallest piece can cause serious illness.

If your dog eats chocolate seek veterinary attention immediately. We may be able to induce vomiting to prevent absorption of the toxins. If toxic signs have developed the dog is likely to need hospitalisation, intravenous fluids and supportive care for a number of days.

So don’t feed your dogs chocolate treats and don’t leave chocolate laying around!

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate call your vet immediately on 5561 2255!